I always told myself that if I ever found myself interested in someone and they claimed that they did not like dogs or wasn’t a “dog person”, I would automatically assume they had to be a serial killer or psychotic in some fashion because truly, who doesn’t like dogs? To not be a “cat person” is one thing, but dogs are a whole other creature. They have very distinct and individual personalities whereas cats are, for the most part, similar: grouchy and independent. There’s nothing wrong with that really, but why would someone NOT love a dog??? Okay, if you’re one of those people, those villains, keep reading to find out 6 reasons why you should have a dog.
- They Make You Happy. It has actually been proven that dogs make people happy. Take it from me, when I come home from a long day at the office I want to get in my work out and be done with this day. But when I walk through the door and see my furbaby rolling over for me to scratch her belly, I can’t stand it! I walk over to give her some of my time because she looks so happy for me to be home, it makes me happy too!
- They Know When You Are Upset. My dog knows every time I am upset. Whether I am crying or not but especially when I am crying. And she knows how to ease the pain a little too. I cannot count the number of times I have been crying on the floor and she comes to lay beside me and rest her head on my lap. I just hang on tight to that baby and cry my heart out, and she doesn’t even flinch.
- Their Love is Unconditional. No matter what I do this dog loves me. She doesn’t judge me, she’s loyal to me, when she gets in trouble and has to be whooped she bounces back and continues her love when mommy apologizes and gives her a hug. It doesn’t matter to her who I am, what I look like, what I’ve done or will do, she is 100% mine and 100% in love with me. The only she needs and wants in return is my love. I can handle that!
- Talking to Your Dog is Totally Acceptable. I know when I was single and living by myself I would talk to everything. Myself, objects, and my dog. Now when you’re on a date and you admit to talking to the first two, you may not see that guy again. But if you admit that you talk to your dog, chances are your date will admit he does this too! Let’s be honest, my dog is listening. She isn’t doing the head tilt because she has water in her ears people.
- They’re Like Kids Only WAY Better. I personally never want children. But for those of you who do, maybe start with a dog. They act very similar to children. They do have their advantages though that children do not. Such as, for our larger canines, staying home for 8 hours a day without paying a sitter or daycare is very doable. I hate it, I hate leaving my baby at home for 8 hours by herself but I do know she is okay. She’s mindful of drinking while we’re gone and she has no sort of separation anxiety which is great! She still requires a lot of time, love, and other things such as children might.
- They Can Identify Worthy People. Dogs have this sense about them where they can tell if someone is a good or bad person. I can tell by vibes my dog puts off such as her tone of bark and if she will come near them or is very hesitant. Her goal is not only to love me, but also protect me. And as long as you pay attention, your dog will be clear about whether or not she trusts someone. If your dog doesn’t trust a person, you may want to take that into deep consideration.